You’ve reviewed the resumes and portfolios, completed the phone screens, and now it’s time to start scheduling face-to-face meetings with the marketing, creative and interactive candidates you believe are qualified for the job.
So how do you conduct a successful interview? Just follow the tips below on what to do, but before that, take a look at this video clip (courtesy of Miranda) of what NOT to do. You’ll thank us… The Interview from Hell.
- Be prepared – Review the candidate’s resume once again and keep it in front of you.
- Manage the time – Have an agenda and schedule for each interview. Be sure to provide them to any team members participating in the process as well.
- Set the tone – After introducing yourself and thanking the candidate for coming in, be sure to explain the interview process and provide a brief overview of the company and the position.
- Actively listen – And take good notes.
- Observe – In addition to listening, observe the candidate’s body language and how they present themselves.
- Steer clear of inappropriate questions – Be sure you understand best hiring practices and avoid questions that are inappropriate or even illegal.
- Sell the position – Be sure to present the position, your company and what you have to offer in a positive light.
Stay Tuned for Tip #6